The author at work?

The author at work?

Wednesday 21 October 2009

Oh me Oh my

The bad dad stories have been flooding in. Just this morning the daughter reminded me of the incident at last year's Raebe Festival. This is a Swiss celebration where basically you go into a forest at night with a lantern and sing songs to a turnip, or something like that, I wasn't paying attention when it was all explained.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, last year us parents and respective tots were walking in a long procession into the dark forest, lanterns swaying as we threaded our way up the valley, casting little pools of light into the November gloom.

Well, I had obviously not secured the daughter's candle inside the paper lantern properly. It caught fire. There the daughter stood, flaming torch in hand, screaming people of all ages scattering left and right into the forest.

Like a flash I grabbed an old coat hanging from a nearby pram intending to beat out the spreading flames. How was I to know there was still a toddler inside it, anyway I don't think there was any lasting damage, although the child still flinches when he sees me.

This year's festival is fast approaching, I wonder if they will let us have a lantern again this year. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment