The author at work?

The author at work?

Friday 20 November 2009

The Birds and the Baggies

Kids grow up so quickly these days. Today my daughter asked me the question that I have been dreading. "Daddy" she said as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth "which football team do you support?".

I knew we would have to talk openly and frankly about this one day, I just did not expect it to be so soon. I was really hoping that the school would deal with this. Frankly I was caught totally off guard and felt more than a little uncomfortable. How do you explain a concept like West Bromwich Albion to a five year old girl. Is it fair to burden someone so young and pure with the curse of the Baggies? I have suffered for over 40 years as a result of lack of parental guidance. My mind was in turmoil. To buy myself sometime I feigned appendicitis.

She stopped poking my lifeless body after half an hour and went downstairs to watch Charlie and Lola. I started googling to find out how to deal with this situation.

The websites that I found gave great advice. " Learning about football and succesful teams to support should be a gradual process, not a one off lesson. Let them ask questions and they will, over time, get to know what they need to know." one website said.

"Questions should be answered as they arise so that their natural curiosity is satisfied as they mature. You can begin to introduce books that approach European success and aggregate league positions over the last 40 years on a developmentally appropriate level. Parents often have trouble finding the right words to explain the off side rule but many excellent books are available to help". Well what a relief.

I decided to strike while the iron was at least luke warm. I sat the girl down and said "when mummies and daddies love each other very much they often support the same team, except for your mother who for some reason chose Aston Villa, and that is where small football supporters come from. Don't let anyone pressure you into having a team too early. If they love you they will wait. If you do start to play with boys always use protection, good quality shin pads."

Frankly by this stage she was bored. I was relieved that was over for the time being.

" What about sex?" she said

"Ask your mother" I replied.

2 comments:

  1. I have inflicted a life long curse on my son. He is a season ticket holder, along with me and my mate at Hull City. His first game, get this, was a two one defeat by West Brom!
    When we lost at home to Arsenal his counterpoint to my vein popping apoplexy was declare this to be "fair" because we had won at the Grove!
    The swearing issue is interesting. Despite our expletive laden reactions I have yet to hear him swear.
    I'm not getting alerts by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you and well done Conor for not picking up his dad's bad habits

    ReplyDelete